Hitting and running is bad enough, but fleeing the cops in a pursuit made it worse

DAVID F. ASHTON - While the situation ended up here in Lents, just south of Eastport Plaza, officials say this incident started as a hit-and-run accident near Mall 205 in the Hazelwood neighborhood.Typically, hit-and-run accidents draw minimal attention from the Portland Police Bureau (PPB). But, what was dispatched as a "cold" (meaning past) hit-and-run on June 7 at 3:15 p.m., brought 14 police units, including at least two motorcycle officers.

"The incident began with the report of a vehicle involved in a crash near Mall 205," reported Portland Police spokesman Sgt. Chris Burley.

"A description of the vehicle was broadcast; and an officer south of Mall 205, near Interstate 205, saw a vehicle matching the suspected hit and run vehicle," Burley told THE BEE. When the officer attempted to investigate further, and the suspect sped away, appearing to try to elude the officer.

The driver's getaway route was unclear, but he ended up on Holgate Boulevard, between S.E. 82nd Avenue of Roses and 92nd Avenue, before turning south on 87th Avenue.

"The officer found the vehicle abandoned," Burley said. "Officers established a perimeter, and located at least one of the occupants of the vehicle."

Two PPB Motorcycle officers and two units were on S.E. Pardee Street, where it dead-ends at 86th Avenue; a neighbor pointed out to police how the suspect had run through yards, vaulting over high fences, heading west.

More officers were on S.E. 85th Avenue, a half block south of Holgate Boulevard, and neighbors pointed out the suspect, who at that point had tried to get into an elderly woman's house and "scared her half to death", as one of the neighbors recounted to THE BEE.

Portland Fire & Rescue Lents Station Engine 11 rolled up to the scene on S.E. 85th Avenue, as did an AMR ambulance.

"One officer was injured during the search for the suspect, and was transported to an area hospital, with a serious but non-life-threatening injury," Burley revealed.

Meanwhile, Engine 11's paramedics provided medical assistance to the elderly neighbor – and then to the suspect, by then in custody, who "suddenly" reported serious medical issues.

"At this time, the name of the suspect hasn't been released," Burley said.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine