Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.

FONT

MORE STORIES


A house cries for help, and the Portland firefighters respond -- in time to stop the fire early

DAVID F. ASHTON - In this smoke-filled second-story room, wearing a mask and breathing apparatus, a firefighter locates the overheating, smoking floor refinishing machine. Often, the report of a house fire comes from a resident or neighbor. But, at 6:42 p.m. on February 13, a Brentwood-Darlington house – with no one inside – called for help by itself.

Nine Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R) units responded to an apparently-vacant house being renovated at 6908 S.E. Ogden Street – thanks to a properly-operating and monitored smoke detector.

The monitored fire alarm inside the two-story home sent an alert to a security company, which, in turn, alerted Portland's 9-1-1 dispatchers – who then dispatched firefighters to the scene.

The communication was rapid; so much so, that when the first unit arrived – PF&R Lents Station 11's Engine Company – they reported seeing smoke in second-story bedrooms, and quickly located the cause before the fire flared up.

The fire engine's water lines were charged [pressurized], and soon, the incident was declared ended. A PF&R lieutenant told THE BEE, "It seems that some kind of floor refinishing device was left plugged in – and overheated."

A firefighter used a pressurized fire extinguisher to cool the hot spot and solve the problem.

Smoke and fire detectors not only save lives, as the firefighters are quick to point out; they also save houses from burning down! Are yours working?


Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine