Fire flares up in Woodstock home - twice - within hours
It's unusual for Portland Fire & Rescue crews to be called back to a blaze, but it happened at a home on the corner of S.E. 51st and Harold Street, late May 13 – and again on the morning of May 14.
The first call-out brought rigs from Woodstock Fire Station 25 at 11:52 p.m. on Monday, May 13. "It was dispatched as a residential fire that started in a garbage can in the basement of the home," PP&R Public Information Officer Lt. Damon Simmons told THE BEE. "The resident attempted to put it out unsuccessfully; crews arrived with nothing showing on the outside, and smoke with moderate heat inside. The fire was located and extinguished, and fire crews went back into service."
Neighbors said they were surprised when, the following morning at 10:01 a.m., Portland Fire crews again rolled in.
"The second call for service at this address was due to some hidden fire between the basement and first floor that was smoldering," explained Simmons. "Eventually, it grew significantly enough to catch the house on fire – for a second time."
Crews worked carefully to remove charred materials, and to probe spaces for remaining embers. Eventually they cleared the scene, and the fire stayed out.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.