Gunfire erupts in Foster-Powell; triggers massive search
Gunmen shooting up the Foster-Powell neighborhood brought ten East Precinct cruisers into the area on Monday, April 6, at 6:58 p.m.
Although officers were first dispatched to the south end of Knott Park at S.E. 66th Avenue, officers and investigators from PPB's Gun Violence Reduction Team (GVRT) were actually finding evidence along S.E. Boise Street, just east of 66th Avenue, a block south of the park.
Neighbor Jack Kopf told THE BEE he'd heard two volleys of five or six shots, sounding like they were coming from different guns. "Maybe someone was trying to ambush someone else; it sounded like some kind of a shootout," Kopf exclaimed.
"There was evidence of a shooting, including damage to two occupied residences and a vehicle; there are no reported known injuries related to this shooting," later reported PPB Public Information Officer Lt. Tina Jones. "Investigators were able to develop information about a vehicle involved in the shooting – it was described as a gold Nissan Maxima."
As a result, GVRT officers were out the following day, April 7, looking for the Nissan implicated in the investigation – and they spotted it, about thirty blocks west of the previous night's incident.
Initially the Maxima fled, and a pursuit followed. It eventually stopped and six suspects ran from the car in all directions. Officers found ammunition inside the car.
"Due to all of these factors, it was believed there was a likelihood those connected with the vehicle could be armed and dangerous – which prompted a neighborhood lockdown and block search by the PPB Special Enforcement Reaction Team (SERT) and K-9 teams," Jones reported the next day.
Police locked down part of the Richmond neighborhood, a little northeast of Cleveland High School – from S.E. 31st to 35th Avenues; and from Tibbetts to Brooklyn Streets.
"All six persons were apprehended after an hours-long block search, and their identities were verified; three of those apprehended were identified and released," Jones said. "Investigators are looking into whether or not they are connected with any open investigations."
Two of the involved subjects were booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center (MCDC). The driver of the car, 18-year-old Ahmed Abdi Kassim, was booked at 11:55 p.m. on April 7 on charges of Attempt Elude by Vehicle, a Class C Felony.
"Kassim was also recently charged in multiple other incidents of 'Felony Elude' from the police; as well as Unlawful Possession of a Loaded Firearm in Public, and Unlawful Possession of a Firearm," Jones said.
Notwithstanding the current list of criminal charges against him, suspect Kassim spent only a few hours in the MCDC. A judge released him on April 8 on a "Court Ordered Release".
Although 19 year-old Rico Cabrera was charged with Interfering with a Police Officer and booked into the MCDC, THE BEE found no MCDC booking record for this suspect.
Yet another vehicle occupant, 20-year-old Johnathan Miranda-Jimenez, was turned over to Marion County Deputies, related to a shooting investigation in their jurisdiction, for which he had been charged criminally.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.