Support Local Journalism!      

Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



An area near Franklin High was closed down for a full day while an armed man was talked into surrendering

COURTESY PORTLAND POLICE BUREAU - Streets near Franklin High School were closed for a full day, and into the night, when a heavily-armed ex-convict barricaded himself in his house nearby. After an eleven-hour standoff with law enforcement officers that shut down neighborhood streets near Franklin High School on Friday, March 26, an armed and wanted man barricaded in his home finally was persuaded by the police to give up.

The suspect was later identified 50-year-old Robert Wayne Devlin. He was soon released back into the community after the day-long standoff began, even though he was charged with three Felonies and two Misdemeanor charges, when he made bail.

Shooting incident triggers standoff

The warrant that triggered the standoff had been drawn up because of a "Shooting – with Weapon" call also involving him, dispatched on March 3 – more than three weeks before the incident in which he was arrested.

In the earlier instance, Central Precinct officers were called to a house at the same location, on S.E. Brooklyn Street near 37th Avenue, at about 11:30 a.m. when Devlin reportedly had fired a handgun at someone outside his home.

The person Devlin fired at was not hit and is still unidentified; but a five-year-old girl and her nanny had been nearby, in the same direction the pistol was pointed, when the shot was fired. PPB's Central Precinct Neighborhood Response Team began an investigation, and applied for the search warrant.

Suspect flees, then returns

Then, on March 26, about 9:30 a.m. PPB officers attempted to serve the warrant on Devlin at the house. Instead of surrendering, Devlin jumped into his vehicle and took off. He didn't stop for the officers but oddly, instead of driving away, he circled back around to the house and re-entered it.

Officers tried negotiating with Devlin – who, in the past, has made threats against both the public and police officers – but he refused to come out. PPB supervisors called in the Special Emergency Reaction Team and the Crisis Negotiation Team at 3:30 p.m. that afternoon.

MCDC BOOKING PHOTO - Charged with multiple crimes, including some felonies - but nonetheless released on bail - was 50-year-old Robert Wayne Devlin. At about 10:30 p.m. Devlin finally gave up and surrendered. After he was in custody, Central Neighborhood Response Team and Central Precinct patrol officers served the search warrant. They located, and seized as evidence, five firearms – including two handguns, an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle, a Mini-14 semiautomatic rifle, and a shotgun – plus at least 500 rounds of ammunition.

Devlin was booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center at on March 27 at 2:58 a.m. on charges of Unlawful Use of a Weapon, Felon in Possession of a Firearm (5 counts), Reckless Endangerment (3 counts), Discharge of a Firearm in the City (city code), and Attempt to Elude by Vehicle.

His combined bail amounted to $20,000; but Devlin posted bail and was released from custody on April 3, at 6:06 p.m. The police and a bail bondsman hope that he does show up for his trial.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!

Go to top