Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



A speeding truck creates a little mayhem at a Brentwood-Darlington intersection on a rainy night

DAVID F. ASHTON - After hitting another truck, and bouncing off a tree, this truck came to a stop in the rain-swept intersection of S.E. Flavel Drive and 52nd Avenue. A thunderous crash shook Brentwood-Darlington neighbors awake on Christmas Eve morning – December 24th – at 3:07 a.m. It was dark, and one of the month's wind-blown "atmospheric river" rainfalls was underway, drenching Southeast Portland at the time -- but some nearby residents rushed outside anyway, to see what the commotion was.

They beheld a badly damaged Toyota Tundra pickup truck stopped in the middle of southbound S.E. 52nd Avenue, at Flavel Drive.

It appeared the Toyota had been westbound on Flavel Drive at a high rate of speed – and had first crashed into a utility truck which had been parked in front of a business on the north side of the street, and had spun that vehicle sideways.

DAVID F. ASHTON - The headlights of a police cruiser illuminate the wheel on the curb at far left - which was torn from the truck, at right, that caused the violent crash.  Then the Toyota continued west and caromed off a tree near the fence surrounding a cell phone tower on the northeast corner of the intersection, before finally grinding to a halt sideways across 52nd Avenue, with one of its two headlights still shining.

The front passenger side wheel and tire had been ripped off the truck, and had rolled across the street until it toppled over at the northwest corner of the intersection.

The driver, a man soaking wet, was wandering around the crash, asking those who'd emerged to look at the wreck if they might have a cell phone charger for an iPhone he could use. Each of those he approached told him that they'd already called 9-1-1; and recommended that he go sit in his truck to stay out of the drenching rain.

An East Precinct officer and an ambulance pulled up at 3:58 a.m., and paramedics took the man inside the ambulance for a medical evaluation, but apparently he was not seriously injured; the driver was released just after 4:16 a.m., which was just about the time a tow truck arrived to remove his badly-damaged truck from the intersection. Evidently no charges were filed in the mishap.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework