A speeding car, a T-bone crash, and five people are injured -- at the Bybee Bridge, and right in front of Fire Station 20

COURTESY OF KGW TV NEWSCHANNEL 8 - Officers examine the wreckage caused by a speeding car crashing into an SUV on S.E. Bybee Boulevard at 23rd Street, at the west end of the Bybee Bridge and right in front of Westmoreland Fire Station 20. An early morning crash on Saturday, January 22, injured five people and severely damaged two vehicles that landed at the western foot of the Bybee Boulevard Viaduct.

Portland Fire & Rescue units were dispatched to the location at 12:40 – specifically, to S.E. Bybee Boulevard at 23rd Avenue; Portland Police Bureau (PPB) officers were sent there a minute later.

It didn't take long for the first responders to arrive; the crash was a few steps away from Westmoreland's Fire Station 20. A silver Infiniti G35 sedan was stopped in the intersection with massive front end damage, and a dark colored Chevrolet Tahoe SUV was upside down on its roof.

According to a Central Precinct spokesperson, the driver of the Infiniti had been speeding eastward on Bybee when he struck a Chevrolet Tahoe traveling northbound through the intersection at 23rd Avenue. That driver was 36-year-old John Tyler Reardon, who reportedly received only minor injuries; but was apparently intoxicated at the time of the crash, police said.

However, the driver and one of the four passengers in the upended Chevrolet were critically injured, and were taken to a local hospital; the other three received minor injuries. All were expected to survive.

Reardon was arrested on charges of second-degree assault, four counts of third-degree assault, driving under the influence of intoxicants, and reckless driving, and was booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center later that morning, at 9:41 a.m.

At his arraignment, Reardon learned his combined bail would total $275,000 for the two Misdemeanor and five Felony charges on which he was booked. However, Reardon was then released from custody on January 24 without posting any bail. The judge's release reason: "Released on recognizance; required to check in with pre-trial release services".

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.