Faulty wiring sparks Westmoreland apartment fire
A fire in the Crystal Springs Apartments, on S.E. Miller Street just west of the south end of Westmoreland Park, drew large number of firefighters on Tuesday, April 19, at 6:40 p.m.
Arriving at the simultaneously were the Westmoreland Fire Station's Engine 20 crew, and an Engine Company from Clackamas Fire District #1, on Mutual Aid.
As eight additional trucks and engines were headed to the fire, firefighters hooked up water supply lines and hoses while others entered the smoke-filled apartment, making sure nobody was left inside.
While crews were fighting the fire spreading through the walls and into the ceiling, Woodstock Fire Station's Ladder Truck 25 firefighters laddered up to the roof, cut access holes, and began to douse the blaze from above. The fire between the ceiling and roof proved stubborn; some 30 minutes passed before the flames were definitely out there.
At least two apartments were soaked; water cascaded down from the second story balcony outside the affected units.
"This was a fire in the walls of the apartment building, in one unit on the second floor," PF&R Public Information Officer Lt. Rich Tyler told THE BEE. "The fire was deemed to be related to an electrical failure; and no injuries have been reported."
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.