The PP&R Community Music Center narrowly escaped damage when somehow a trash bin there caught fire

DAVID F. ASHTON - With their water feed line hose hooked up to a container that mixes it with Class A Foam, firefighters drenched timbers cut from the fence and contents of the trash bin, situated behind the PP&Rs Community Music Center, in the Creston-Kenilworth neighborhood. A fire raging in a trash bin behind the Community Music Center, in the Creston-Kenilworth neighborhood on August 7, brought Portland Fire & Rescue crews to 3350 S. E. Francis Street at 7:21 p.m. that evening.

Of the nine engine and ladder truck companies dispatched, the first to arrive was Engine Company from Hawthorne Fire Station 9, who radioed back as they arrived that it was a Dumpster and fence fire; and that the building was not yet in danger. The Center, now a Portland Parks property, was built originally as one of Portland's neighborhood fire stations.

Not knowing what was burning in the trash receptacle, firefighters used "Class A Foam" to quench the fire, and also to stop the flames on a heavy wooden fence on the property line behind it. One crew member used a chainsaw to cut the smoldering fence into sections so it could be soaked with foam.

A PF&R Investigator responded a short time later to look into the fire. A neighbor, living directly behind the venerated city music venue, said he suspected arson; but another possibility could be spontaneous combustion, on that 100-degree day. Officially, the fire is still under investigation.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!