Flames spread from bucket to fence to rooftop at home on Steinke Road earlier this week

PHOTO COURTESY OF COLUMBIA RIVER FIRE AND RESCUE - Columbia River Fire and Rescue crews respond to a house fire on Steinke Road on Monday, July 24. The fire caused $100,000 in damage and displaced three people who were living in the home.A discarded cigarette is to blame for a house fire that displaced three people Monday, July 24.

Columbia River Fire and Rescue personnel were dispatched to the 35000 block of Steinke Road at 11:21 p.m. on Monday, after heavy smoke and fire were seen coming from the home near the roof and attic.

When emergency crews arrived, smoke could be seen pushing out from the eaves and attic vents of the two-story home, according to a release from CRFR.

The home's residents were first alerted to the fire when they heard a popping and crackling sound near the garage outside the house. The residents discovered flames on the rooftop and used a nearby garden hose to control it until emergency crews arrived. Working smoke detectors in the house also alerted those who were still inside and everyone was able to escape, the release added. No injuries were reported.

The fire started in a bucket that had been used for cigarette butts outside the house. The bucket was located near a cedar fence and the corner of the building, the release added. The fire started on the fence and traveled up the side of the home before entering the attic.

Crews spent half an hour putting out the fire in the attic space. While most of the home suffered from smoke and water damage, none of the living spaces in the home suffered damage from flames.

Items stored in the attic added fuel to the blaze.

Damage estimates are $100,000.

A total 14 firefighters, one medic, one support engine, two fire engines, and three chief officers responded to the fire.

The three occupants were assisted by the American Red Cross after the fire.

CRFR officials remind people to dispose of cigarettes properly in a fire proof container located far away from other combustible materials.

A cigarette butt tossed into a wicker basket was to blame for a house fire on Dubois Lane on July 11 that caused $55,000 in damage and displaced two people living there.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine