Sheriff confirms discovery of Bret Yates, reported missing by wife June 13 while fishing at coast

UPDATED: 10:30 a.m. Monday, June 18

U.S. COAST GUARD PACIFIC NORTHWEST PHOTO - Coast Guard and law enforcement crews began searching Wednesday afternoon for a 53-year-old man who was reported missing in Clatsop County while fishing in the area. The body of Bret Yates, who was reported missing Wednesday, June 13 in Clatsop County, has been found.

The Clatsop County Sheriff's Office confirmed

Yates was discovered Saturday, June 16 at Social Security Beach in Fort Stevens State Park.

The 53-year-old man from Scappoose was reported missing by his wife the week prior, when he failed to return home or answer his phone while on a fishing trip in the area.

U.S. Coast Guard crews, along with the Clatsop County Sheriff's Office and other regional search crews, launched a day-long search of the area near Clatsop Spit last Wednesday, but the search was suspened Wednesday evening with no sight of Yates.

"There does not appear to be suspicious or any foul play related to the death," a message on the Clatsop County Sheriff's Office Facebook page states. The Sheriff's Office was aided in the search by the US Coast Guard, Warrenton Police Department and Clatsop County Search and Rescue.

Crews searched coast for hours

U.S. Coast Guard crews from Station Cape Disappointment and Sector Columbia River, along with the Clatsop County Sheriff's Office and other state and regional agencies, began searching Wednesday afternoon for Yates, after his wife reported him missing, according to the USCG Pacific Northwest.

According to agency's Twitter page, Yates's wife said she last heard from her husband via a text message at 9:46 p.m. Tuesday while he was in the area fishing ashore. He was reported missing at 9:19 a.m. Wednesday.

Late Wednesday afternoon, search crews were focusing on the vicinity near Clatsop Spit, a large sand bar between Astoria and Tillamook.

USCG reported the search "continues with a focus on the ocean side of the Columbia River South Jetty," but later Wednesday evening, crews suspended the search, which encompassed 20 combined searches over nearly 24 hours and 907 trackline miles, the USCG Pacific Northwest indicated.

"Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the missing man," the Coast Guard posted to its Twitter page around 10 p.m. Wednesday.

U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer 1st Class Levi Read confirmed Wednesday evening that "as of 9:45 p.m., we have suspended the search."

Read said Thursday morning, June 14, that the search was suspended after several hours and indicated a "low chance of survivability," after Wednesday evening.

He said a dive team was not deployed, but local law enforcement agencies and Coast Guard crews could continue to pursue any sightings or tips.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine