FONT & AUDIO
Downed drone sparks grass fire in Scappoose
Scappoose Fire District personnel on Tuesday, June 26, responded to a 20-by-10 grass fire caused by a downed drone near Scappoose Industrial Airpark.
Several individuals were flying a drone in Federal Aviation Administration-restricted airspace on Wagner Court, just off of West Lane Road in Scappoose, when it had a malfunction, landed in dry grass and sparked a fire, according to a June 29 press release from the fire district.
The drone operators attempted to stomp out the fire but were unsuccessful. They called 911 at roughly 5:49 p.m.
The drone went down in a vacant field with no nearby structures, the release notes.
Firefighters responded with one engine, one brush truck, three support vehicles and nine personnel. The fire was limited to roughly a quarter-acre of dry grass.
The drone was slightly damaged and its operators, who are not identified in the press release, were issued a verbal warning for using it in restricted airspace.
For information about safe areas to fly drones, reference www.FAA.gov/dronezone. Additionally, FAA offers a safety app, called "B4UFly," that provides real-time information about airspace restrictions and other requirements based on GPS location.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.