FONT

MORE STORIES


Fire officials say property owner set reclining chair, other material on fire in burn pile

SCAPPOOSE FIRE DISTRICT PHOTO - The remnants of a recliner chair can still be seen afer a burn pile got out of control and started a brush fire in Scappoose.Scappoose firefighters extinguished a roughly half-acre brush fire off Ray Beer Road last Tuesday, Oct. 2, after a Scappoose property owner started a burn pile with household debris, including a recliner, that quickly spread. A hose on the property wasn't long enough to reach the flames, fire district officials said, and it spread to a nearby field. The property owner had a burn permit, but permits do not allow for igniting household debris like furniture or other non-organic materials. He was issued a violation and could face more fines or penalties if additional complaints arise.


Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)