FONT

MORE STORIES


Fire officials remind residents to follow proper procedures when disposing of ashes

COURTESY PHOTO: SCAPPOOSE FIRE DISTRICT - Scappoose Fire District crews were able to put out a garage fire on Southwest Maple Street in Scappoose before it spread to the house last week. FIre officials determined the fire was caused by hot embers in a container near the garage. Now, they are using the incident to remind residents to store ashes in metal conatiners away from buildings while the ashes cool.A house fire on Maple Street in Scappoose last week was determined to have been accidentally caused by hot embers in a container that spread to the garage.

Scappoose Fire District crews were dispatched to a two-story home on Southwest Maple Street on Thursday, May 30, at 2:04 p.m., where the detached garage was reported to be on fire.

When firefighters arrived, they intervened and prevented the blaze from spreading from the garage to the house. No one was home at the time of the blaze and no injuries were reported. The family was also able to remain in their home after the fire.

Columbia River Fire and Rescue, Scappoose Police and a Scappoose building official also assisted with the blaze. Crews were on scene for close to an hour and a half overhauling the fire.

The fire was caused by discarded embers that were placed in a noncombustible container on the side of the garage.

Fire officials are using the incident as an opportunity to remind residents to properly dispose of hot embers to prevent house fires and other complications.

Firefighting agencies respond to a number of fires each year caused by improperly discarded ashes, a press release from CRFR and SFD stated. Embers should be discarded in metal, fire-safe containers and kept outside at least 10 feet away from the house or other structures.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine