Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.

FONT

MORE STORIES


Older home used to store hay, shop materials burned, considered total loss after fire

COURTESY PHOTO: COLUMBIA RIVER FIRE AND RESCUE  - Columbia River Fire and Rescue crews responded to a fire in Rainier on Monday, June 24. Fire crews believe the cause of the fire was electrical.Columbia River Fire and Rescue crews were dispatched earlier this week to a fire in the 28000 block of Old Rainier Road that resulted in a total loss of a home being used for storage.

Crews were dispatched at 8:26 a.m. on Monday, June 24, when smoke visible from Dike Road in Rainier was seen from the hill above the city, a press release from CRFR stated. Around the same time, crews also received a call about a house fire on Old Rainier Road.

When crews arrived they found an older home that had been mostly consumed with flames. The fire was also threatening a nearby home, barn and shed. Fire crews later determined the home had been not been lived in for several months and was being used to store hay bales, old vehicles and shop materials.

Fire crews knocked down the flames and wet down nearby exposure areas to limit the fire's spread. Additional water tenders were requested from the Deer Island and Goble stations, along with a fire engine from Clatskanie. Downed powerlines, a steep driveway and narrow roads slowed response to the fire, the press release added.

The building was considered a total loss, but no financial damage estimate was available. The cause of the fire is believed to be electrical.

Firefighters are reminding the public that extension cords should not be used for long-term power supply. They should also be inspected regularly, and damaged cords should be replaced.


Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine