Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



One side of duplex no longer inhabitable following accidental fire, Red Cross aids displaced family

SUBMITTED PHOTO: CRFR - CRFR firefighters at the scene of a Nov. 18 fire that broke out at a duplex in the 500 block of North 9th Street in St. Helens.

Columbia River Fire and Rescue personnel responded to an early evening structure fire on Sunday, Nov. 17, in the 500 block of North 9th Street in St. Helens.

At approximately 5:10 p.m., CRFR firefighters and other staff were dispatched to a duplex that was already full of smoke up upon their arrival, notes a Nov. 18 press release from the fire agency.

"Once we broke out windows it allowed better visibility to locate the fire," the press release states. "Firefighters located the fire in the kitchen and at that time were able to knock down the flames."

Only one of the residence's four occupants was home at the time of the fire and was able to escape unharmed, according to the release. The home was rendered completely uninhabitable, however, and the Red Cross responded to assist the family.

Citing the firefighting crew's quick response time, the release notes that only one side of the duplex was damaged in the blaze. The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.

CRFR responded with a chief officer, 14 firefighters, four engines, two medics, one support staff member and a public information officer. Scappoose Fire District personnel assisted.

A CRFR investigative team followed up.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework