Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Todd Marchant killed a neighbor in a 2009 dispute involving a 'samurai sword.'

A man previously charged with murder in Columbia County is the suspect in a recent shooting in Portland, according to law enforcement.

Todd Marchant, 55, was arrested Sept. 14 by Portland police after a 40-year-old was shot in the head and torso. Officers responded to a report of a shooting in Southeast Portland and learned that the suspect was likely still in the area, according to a press release. Police located Marchant and arrested him.

Marchant is being held in the Multnomah County Jail on charges of attempted murder in the second degree, assault in the first degree, unlawful use of a weapon and felon in possession of a firearm.

The victim's injuries were serious but not life-threatening, police said.

An immediate relative of the victim said that he was shot in the stomach, hitting his pancreas; in the jaw; and in the eye, losing that eye. Five days after the shooting, the victim had already had five surgeries and more were scheduled.

Court records show Marchant and the victim knew each other well and had spent the day together before things took a turn for the worse.

Marchant told a detective that he was "afraid for his life" before he shot the victim.

More than a decade ago, Marchant shot another man after a day together turned into an argument.

In May 2009, Marchant was arrested in Columbia County after he fatally shot his neighbor, Everett Lawrence Briley, 28, in the Grey Cliffs neighborhood in St. Helens. After Marchant and Briley got into an argument while driving home together from a golfing trip, Marchant went to his home and returned to Briley's house with a gun. After Briley brandished a katana, a Japanese "samurai sword," Marchant shot Briley in the chest. Briley later died at the hospital.

Prosecutors argued that Briley grabbed the sword in self-defense, while the defense argued that Marchant shot Briley in self-defense.

A Columbia County jury acquitted Marchant of murder, but it did find him guilty of unlawful use of a weapon.

Marchant was sentenced to five years in prison but was released in 2012.

Five years later, Marchant was charged with second-degree murder in Phoenix, Arizona. Phoenix police said Marchant used a wrench to strike another man and then strangled him with an electrical cord. According to court records, Marchant had killed the man after a verbal argument at a hotel in Phoenix.

On Oct. 2, 2017, less than two weeks after the incident, the charges against Marchant were dismissed. It isn't clear why those charges were dismissed.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework