Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.

FONT & AUDIO

MORE STORIES


Spotlight reader letters this week include a paean to Columbia County veterans and criticism of Betsy Johnson.

COURTESY PHOTO: DOUG WALKER - Hometown Heroes of Columbia County has been putting up signage for Veterans Day this week at parks across the county.

Thanking our veterans on occasion of Veterans Day

Beginning last Saturday, a small but heartfelt "Thank You to Veterans Past, Present and Future" began to appear at veterans' parks all over Columbia County.

The Hometown Heroes of Columbia County found this way to not only thank but to also honor all those who have signed a contract with the American people to defend our country and our unique way of life from all enemies foreign and domestic. Whether serving at home or on foreign soil, these patriots have been, and are, willing to give their all for our greater good.

Fewer than 1% of our population have agreed to put their life on the line so that the other 99% can enjoy doing what we do. For around 250 years, our servicemen and women sacrifice so the rest don't have to.

Our "Thank You" message extends to those who, at some time in the future, will don the uniform and sign that contract.

God bless all veterans, and God bless America.

Doug Walker

Representative, Hometown Heroes of Columbia County 

Johnson doesn't stand up for environment

I am surprised at Pamplin Media's recent editorial regarding Sen. Betsy Johnson running for governor of Oregon could be good for Oregon.

Refer to the editorial published online Oct. 26, 2021, on Betsy Johnson and her campaign for governor.

Sen. Johnson's voting record shows that she is an anti-environment candidate, which should alarm any voter. Oregon's future is at stake, and Sen. Johnson has voted against 100% clean energy for all, electric vehicle incentives, energy-efficient appliances, upholding Oregon's strong land-use laws to allow luxury homes to be built on exclusive farmland.

We need a governor who will continue to lead on protecting Oregon's environment and address climate change with effective legislation, and Sen. Johnson does not meet this criteria.

Ann Scherner, Tigard


You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by JoomlaShine.com | powered by JSN Sun Framework