Home security company ranks Sherwood 'safest city in Oregon'
Sherwood placed first in an annual list that uses FBI crime statistics to determine the safest cities in each state.
The list is published by SafeWise, a website that compiles reviews of different home security systems. SafeWise uses statistics that are reported by local police departments to the FBI each year, and population data, to find the cities with the lowest rates of reported violent crime per capita.
According to SafeWise, about six percent of reported crimes in Sherwood are violent — that includes aggravated assault, murder, rape and robbery — while 94 percent of reported crimes are property crimes, including burglary, arson and motor vehicle theft.
"Sherwood is a great community in many different ways, but I always hear from residents and businesses that the fact it is a safe community is paramount," said City Manager Joe Gall after the list was released on Tuesday, June 4. "It really takes an entire community working together to achieve such a top ranked distinction, from our individual citizens, numerous community partners and members of our awesome Police Department. It just doesn't happen."
While the data SafeWise uses from the FBI is credible, a spokeswoman from the FBI noted that the Bureau cautions against using that data to create lists or rankings, citing language that appears on the FBI's website:
"Comparisons lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents."
With that in mind, here's a look at the full list of Oregon's 20 safest cities, according to SafeWise:
1. SherwoodPopulation: 19,486Violent crimes per 1,000: 0.67Property crimes per 1,000: 11.29Total crime: 5.91% violent, 94.09% property
2. SandyPopulation: 10,855Violent crimes per 1,000: 0.74Property crimes per 1,000: 17.50Total crime: 4.21% violent, 95.79% property
3. Lake OswegoPopulation: 38,860Violent crimes per 1,000: 0.80Property crimes per 1,000: 11.48Total crime: 6.95% violent, 93.05% property
4. AlbanyPopulation: 52,544Violent crimes per 1,000: 0.82Property crimes per 1,000: 28.78Total crime: 2.84% violent, 97.16% property
5. SilvertonPopulation: 9,860Violent crimes per 1,000: 1.01Property crimes per 1,000: 19.47Total crime: 5.21% violent, 94.79% property
6. BendPopulation: 89,244Violent crimes per 1,000: 1.08Property crimes per 1,000: 22.52Total crime: 4.78% violent, 95.22% property
7. Canby Population: 17,395Violent crimes per 1,000: 1.21Property crimes per 1,000: 10.29Total crime: 11.73% violent, 88.27% property
8. Newberg-DundeePopulation: 26,105Violent crimes per 1,000: 1.26Property crimes per 1,000: 16.97Total crime: 7.45% violent, 92.55% property
9. The DallesPopulation: 15,413Violent crimes per 1,000: 1.30Property crimes per 1,000: 31.53Total crime: 4.12% violent, 95.88% property
10. CorvallisPopulation: 56,061Violent crimes per 1,000: 1.34Property crimes per 1,000: 27.77Total crime: 4.82% violent, 95.18% property
11. BeavertonPopulation: 97,907Violent crimes per 1,000: 1.36Property crimes per 1,000: 14.33Total crime: 9.48% violent, 90.52% property
12. MonmouthPopulation: 10,131Violent crimes per 1,000: 1.38Property crimes per 1,000: 19.64Total crime: 7.04% violent, 92.96% property
13. MilwaukiePopulation: 20,935Violent crimes per 1,000: 1.39Property crimes per 1,000: 21.26Total crime: 6.52% violent, 93.48% property
14. GladstonePopulation: 12,083Violent crimes per 1,000: 1.41Property crimes per 1,000: 25.49Total crime: 5.52% violent, 94.48% property
15. La GrandePopulation: 13,071Violent crimes per 1,000: 1.61Property crimes per 1,000: 27.62Total crime: 5.82% violent, 94.18% property
16. McMinnvillePopulation: 34,242Violent crimes per 1,000: 1.64Property crimes per 1,000: 24.15Total crime: 6.77% violent, 93.23% property
17. AstoriaPopulation: 9,655Violent crimes per 1,000: 1.66Property crimes per 1,000: 46.61Total crime: 3.56% violent, 96.44% property
18. KeizerPopulation: 38,165Violent crimes per 1,000: 1.73Property crimes per 1,000: 20.20Total crime: 8.56% violent, 91.44% property
19. DallasPopulation: 15,411Violent crimes per 1,000: 1.75Property crimes per 1,000: 19.73Total crime: 8.88% violent, 91.12% property
20. Central PointPopulation: 18,161Violent crimes per 1,000: 1.82Property crimes per 1,000: 28.41Total crime: 6.40% violent, 93.60% property
Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)