First responders battle flames and a lack of water from hydrants during two-alarm structure fire

CONTRIBUTED PHOTO: CLACKAMAS FIRE DISTRICT NO. 1 - The front of the 302-Lane home after the flames were out. A Boring family is staying in a recreational vehicle after their home was all but destroyed by fire Tuesday, July 4.

"I don't know if I'd call it a total loss, but the first and second floors were mostly gone," said Micah Shelton, a Clackamas Fire District public information officer who was at the scene.

Flames on the roof of the home on 302nd Lane were reported at 12:56 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. By 2 p.m., most of the dwelling had burned.

Hampering firefighters' efforts to control the blaze, Shelton said, were "rural water issues," stemming from a lack of fire hydrants in the remote area.

CONTRIBUTED PHOTO: CLACKAMAS COUNTY FIRE DITRICT NO. 1 - Firefighters had to lay 2,000 feet of hose and pump uphill to supply water to the site. Firefighters stretched more than 2,000 feet of hose to reach a temporary pool at the bottom of the home's driveway. Water was then manually pumped uphill using a "strategically placed apparatus."

"The speculation on the scene was that it was ignited by a firework," Shelton noted.

Later, via email, Shelton said, "At this time (the fire) was determined to have started on the roof, but there was no evidence of fireworks found. So 'undetermined' will be the listed cause."

It took the cooperation of members of Gresham, Sandy, Clackamas, Estacada and Colton fire departments to tackle the flames. One Gresham firefighter was transported to a local hospital for severe muscle cramps caused by dehydration and intense heat.

While the family escaped without any injuries, firefighters rescued a dog from the property and provided oxygen through a pet resuscitation device.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine