Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.

FONT

MORE STORIES


Investigators rule fatal blaze accidental

Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue and Tigard Police investigators have determined that a fatal fire Thursday evening at a Tigard apartment complex was accidental.


The fire started in a bed and was most likely caused by smoker carelessness, according to fire district officials.

The fire claimed the life of a 65-year-old man.

Just after 4:45 p.m. TVF and R firefighters were dispatched to a report of a fire at the Hawthorne Villa Apartments, 7709 S.W. Pfaffle St. While enroute, crews received additional information indicating a victim was possibly inside.

Upon arrival firefighters found heavy black smoke coming from a single apartment unit.

Crews immediately began an attack to extinguish the fire, while other firefighters simultaneously performed a search of the 600-square-foot unit. During the search, a man was found and pulled from the unit.

Paramedics attempted to resuscitate the man, but he did not survive.

Two other people were treated for smoke inhalation with one being released and the other transported to Providence St. Vincent Medical Center.

The American Red Cross also responded to the scene to assist one displaced adult with a dog with lodging and food.

Fire district officials would like to remind the community that working smoke alarms increase your chances of getting out and calling the fire department if a fire starts in your home. For more information, visit www.tvfr.com and click on "Safety Tips."

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine