Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Rain and wind caused power outages, downed several large trees; Tualatin River overflows in Brown's Ferry Park

PMG PHOTO: JAIME VALDEZ - Becky Sutton, who lives on Southwest 100th Drive in Tualatin, watches as a crane removes a portion of a damaged Douglas fir tree in back of her home in a forested area just off of Alsea Court Monday, Jan. 18.Some rough weather — wind that toppled trees and rain that caused minor flooding — hit Tualatin with a vengeance last week.

Those heavy rains and wind on the evening of Tuesday, Jan. 12, resulted in water over several roadways and power outages throughout the city. On Wednesday morning, Jan. 13, the eastbound lanes of Southwest Borland Road were closed due to flooding. They opened a short time later.

High water also closed Southwest Tualatin-Sherwood Road in both directions near the Century Hotel; Southwest Herman Road between Tualatin Road and Teton Avenue; and portions of Highway 141, signed locally as Southwest Boones Ferry Road, according to Nic Westendorf of Tualatin's public works department.

The storm also caused some power outages, knocking out traffic signals along Southwest Bridgeport Road in front of Bridgeport Village for several hours.

Downed trees were reported on Herman Road and 125th Avenue, Chesapeake Drive and Natchez Street, Sagert Street and Tillamook Court, and 57th Avenue and Calusa Loop. A 120-foot-tall fir tree fell on the sidewalk along Borland Road near 61st Avenue, according to city officials.

Becky Sutton said she left her house on Southwest 100th Drive at 6 a.m. Jan. 13 for her daily walk. When she returned, she noticed a large Douglas fir tree leaning in back of her home in a forested area off of Alsea Court. (A path through that forested area leads to the city's Ibach Park.) PMG PHOTO: JAIME VALDEZ - A tree crew worker guides a section of a Douglas fir along 100th Drive and Alsea Court on Monday, Jan. 18, after it was removed from a forested area nearby after winds caused it to lean.

"This tree was like four stories tall," said Sutton. "It was headed away from our house, but if it would have fallen, it would have fallen across Alsea Street."

By luck, she said the tree ended up resting against a slightly shorter tree, one she estimates that was a mere three stories tall.

Sutton said the city informed residents Friday afternoon about plans to remove the tree on Monday.

"The city sent out a real good notification," Sutton said. "They sent out flyers. (They) went around and told everybody."

Starting at 8 a.m. Monday, Jan. 18, two boom cranes worked to remove the tall tree in what Sutton estimated were 20-foot increments.

High water and the overflowing banks of the Tualatin River caused the city to keep an eye on that waterway on Thursday, Jan. 14, and Friday, Jan. 15. Businesses along low-lying areas of Nyberg Road and Nyberg Lane received notices of high water and possible flooding. Several businesses in the area had experienced some type of flooding during the week, Megan George, deputy city manager, said Friday.COURTESY PHOTO: CITY OF TUALATIN - A 120-foot-tall fir tree fell on the sidewalk along Borland Road near 61st Avenue following a night of wind and rain last week.

On Saturday, Jan. 16, as expected, Brown's Ferry Park — which sits just off Southwest Nyberg Lane, along the Tualatin River — experienced some flooding. Signs in the park warned trail walkers of flooding along some paths and one park boardwalk was closed off by a portable chain-link fence, completely submerged underwater. Down along the Tualatin River, the turbid brown water was just inches from covering the park's canoe launch.PMG PHOTO: RAY PITZ - A muddy Tualatin River was only inches from covering a canoe launch at Browns Ferry Park Saturday afternoon.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework