The Tigard Police Department reports on calls for service from May 22-28, 2022.

Editor's note: Police logs are a partial accounting of law enforcement calls, based on activity reports and descriptions generated by participating police departments. All persons accused of a crime are legally considered to be innocent until proven guilty.

Sunday, May 22

A theft in progress was reported from a store in the 11700 block of Southwest Pacific Highway, where a shoplifter took several pieces of merchandise. Officers located the suspect nearby, recovered all the merchandise, and took the man to jail.

A woman reported being punched by a man, who left before officers arrived.

Officers arrested a woman for a physical altercation involving a relative.

Monday, May 23

Callers reported a man was threatening people with a machete at an apartment complex in the 12300 block of Southwest 72nd Avenue over a barking dog. Responding officers arrested the man on four counts of menacing with a weapon and took the machete into evidence.

A storage shed belonging to a business was broken into in the 11600 block of Southwest Pacific Highway.

Officers responded to a call that was initially reported as someone holding a knife to another person but learned there was actually no knife and the person was experiencing a mental health crisis. He was taken to the hospital for an evaluation.

Tuesday, May 24

A man reported his office was burglarized in the 8900 block of Southwest Center Street. The case was referred to detectives.

A mother reported her 11-year-old son never came home from school. It was determined that the son took a later bus home due to an after-school activity. He returned home safely.

Two catalytic converters were stolen overnight from a business on Southwest Garden Place.

Wednesday, May 25

Officers assisted with traffic control at a house fire in the 8900 block of Southwest Center Street while firefighters with Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue put out the flames.

A man reported he caught three people burglarizing his home and was holding them at gunpoint. Responding officers arrived and quickly learned the man was experiencing a mental health crisis and there had not been a burglary. The man was taken to the hospital for an evaluation on a police officer's hold.

Officers were called to the 12000 block of Southwest Main Street, where an agitated man was throwing rocks through business windows. He refused to comply with responding officers and charged toward them. An officer deployed a Taser during the altercation. After being checked out at the hospital, the man was taken to jail and charged with criminal mischief.

Thursday, May 26

A driver crashed into a tree in the 10100 block of Southwest Walnut Street. When officers arrived, two people were outside the car and claimed a third person who left the scene was driving. One of the occupants was taken to the hospital. The investigation is open.

A patrol officer stopped a person who was driving erratically in the 11500 block of Southwest Pacific Highway. The driver was ultimately arrested for DUII and criminal mischief. His blood alcohol content was measured at more than twice the legal limit.

A patrol officer saw a driver speeding and ignoring traffic signals near Southwest Greenburg Road, who then got onto Highway 217 and continued to drive erratically at a high rate of speed. The officer attempted a traffic stop, but the driver kept going and was not immediately identified.

Friday, May 27

A man reported being robbed by a person known to him. The investigation remains open.

An attempted burglary in progress was reported in an industrial complex, where the property owner was watching real-time surveillance video. The suspect took off when he learned the property owner was watching and never made it inside the building.

The Mental Health Response Team was busy throughout the day responding to various people in crisis, who were threatening harm to themselves or others.

Saturday, May 28

A man with memory issues walked into a restaurant near Southwest Pacific Highway and Dartmouth Street. Officers assisted with tracking down his family and getting him safely home.

Officers responded to a person in an apparent mental health crisis who was running around on the freeway near the Interstate 5 and Highway 217 interchange. Assistance from neighboring agencies was requested, and the person was safely taken into custody. She went to the hospital for an evaluation.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!