Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Clackamas County Sheriff's Office, Oregon State Police chase man into city, where he reportedly emerged from his crashed vehicle with a gun

A suspect was killed after an attempted traffic stop led to a pursuit and officer-involved shooting in Milwaukie early on Saturday, June 18.COURTESY PHOTO: KOIN 6 NEWS - Neighbors in this area of Milwaukie awoke to gunfire when police say they shot and killed a DUII suspect who emerged from his vehicle with a gun.

Clackamas County officials on Tuesday, June 21, released the identity of the man shot to death following an attempted traffic stop, along with the names of the officers involved in the shooting.

Shortly before 1 a.m. June 18, Derrick Dewayne Clark of Tigard was believed to be driving under the influence of intoxicants when law enforcement tried to pull him over in unincorporated Clackamas County. Instead of pulling over, officials said Clark ignored the lights and sirens while driving into Milwaukie, ending up in a ditch near the corner of Southeast Railroad and Wood avenues, west of the North Clackamas Aquatic Park.

The 24-year-old was ordered to get out of the car and show his hands, but the Clackamas County District Attorney's Office said he got out of the car with a handgun. Clark was shot twice and died at the scene, the DA said.

According to the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office, CCSO Det. Dan Ferguson and Oregon State Police Trooper Zachary Cole were involved in the shooting. Both are on leave pending the outcome of the investigation, which is standard procedure in these cases.

The investigation continues, and the DA said the case will later go to a grand jury for review.

The overnight police pursuit led multiple agencies to the neighborhood. Some residents woke up to gunfire, not knowing what was going on.

"I woke up about 12:30 this morning, hearing gunshots and hearing a megaphone, police officers saying, 'Give yourself up, put your hands in the sky. We're not going anywhere so you need to give yourself up,'" neighbor Sue McDonald told KOIN 6 News. "That was said over and over for hours."

McDonald said while she couldn't see the suspect, she heard police negotiate for hours before more shots rang out.

"About 4:30, probably close to 5, before there was more gunshots," she said. "There was a lot of other things going on like sheriff's big truck came up. I don't know if it was a coroner's truck or what."

McDonald said she was worried the suspect may be hiding on her property, so she turned her flood lights on.

"I did creep around my house and turned on flood lights in the back, not knowing if that was going to make the guy angry and shoot at my house to put out the lights or what," said McDonald. "It was scary but I was trying to do my duty to light up my yard in the front and back to see if it would help the police find him."

Investigators closed the area for several hours. The Clackamas Interagency Major Crimes Team and County District Attorney's office are now leading the investigation.

KOIN 6 News, a news partner of the Pamplin Media Group, contributed to this report.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework