Officials have yet to release cause of death for man found in backyard of Tigard houseless resource center

PMG PHOTO: RAY PITZ - Tigard's Just Compassion resource center provides services for people without shelter. It has been designated a severe weather center where homeless individuals may spend the night.Five days after a man's body was found at a Tigard resource center for homeless individuals, authorities have yet to release the cause of his death, other than that it's believed to have been a homicide.

A look into the suspect's criminal history shows he had convictions for robbery, theft and assaulting a police officer.

On Sunday, June 27, the body of William Mayberry, 53, was found at a backyard area of the Tigard Just Compassion, 12280 S.W. Hall Blvd., with Tigard police initially calling his death "suspicious."

Police arrested Harrison Douglas-Myles McBride, 26, on Monday, June 27, charging him with second-degree murder in connection with Mayberry's death. The two men knew each other, police say.

Neither the Washington County District Attorney's Office nor the Washington County Medical Examiner's Office are releasing the cause of Mayberry's death at this time, according to officials from both agencies.

While the homicide occurred at Just Compassion's Tigard site, McBride had been kicked out of Just Compassion's Beaverton severe weather shelter previously, according to Beaverton police.

Officer Matt Henderson, a spokesperson for the Beaverton Police Department, said officers responded at the Beaverton Just Compassion site on Feb. 26, after staff reported an "unwanted" individual who turned out to be McBride.

"They just said, 'He's not following the rules,'" said Henderson. "(The report) indicates he was 'trespassed' at that location at the time."

Kelsey Anderson, a spokesperson for the Tigard Police Department, said her understanding was that since McBride had been "trespassed" from the Beaverton Just Compassion, he was automatically banned from the Tigard facility as well.

Since February, McBride has had contact with law enforcement several times.

Court records show McBride was convicted of second-degree criminal mischief on Feb. 20 and sentenced to supervised probation, where he was to submit to a mental health evaluation and required to participate in any recommended treatment or counseling.

On April 7, McBride was convicted on more serious charges: assaulting a public safety officer and resisting arrest. He was ordered to submit to anger evaluation and participate in treatment. Sentenced to 14 days in jail, he was given credit for time served.

As recently as June 2, McBride was convicted of third-degree robbery, given probation and required to submit again to any needed mental health treatment.

Tigard Just Compassion serves as a day shelter for those without housing where clients can grab breakfast or lunch, get out of the weather, find mental health services or search for jobs. In 2020, the facility began offering overnight shelter during cold weather.

While this is the most serious incident Tigard police have responded to in Tigard Just Compassion's history, they do respond to the facility on a regular basis. Since the beginning of the year, police have been called to the facility 58 times for conducting welfare checks, assisting people, making community contacts and other lower-priority calls, Anderson said.

During Monday night's Tigard City Council meeting, Tigard Police Chief Kathy McAlpine said she visited the Tigard Just Compassion this week to check on how staff there were doing.

"You can imagine, they're traumatized," she said. "They're getting the resources they need, and right now, community support for the clients and for the staff is highly encouraged as we help them navigate this."

Responding to a question by Councilor John Goodhouse on what she would say to residents worried about both the homicide, as well as the recent non-fatal stabbing in Cook Park of a 15-year-old boy, McAlpine said that in general, Tigard homicides occur between those who know each other, rather than perpetrators "randomly preying on people."

"We still have a wonderful city. It's still very safe," she said.

There has been an increase of 30% in person-to-person crimes from the same time last year, McAlpine said, but she added that similar increases are being experienced throughout Washington County and the state as well.

"We still have a great community, but we need each other to not to be complacent and to have our eyes and ears open," McAlpine said.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!