Dan Kerbs pleaded guilty in March to second-degree sex abuse and first-degree online corruption of a child

COURTESY PHOTO - Dan KerbsDan Kerbs, a former Woodburn police officer, has been sentenced to 150 days in jail followed by five years probation after pleading guilty to first-degree online sexual corruption of a child and second-degree sexual abuse.

Kerbs, 29, a Salem resident who appeared in Washington County Court, was sentenced May 23 by Judge D. Charles Bailey. Under the sentencing stipulations, Kerbs is to have no contact with the victim, register as a sex offender and have no access to a computer or smartphone without his supervising officer's consent.

He submitted his guilty plea on March 20, a change from his original plea of not guilty for 13 charges in August 2017. The other charges have been dismissed.

Kerbs resigned from his position with the Woodburn Police Department March 22.

Kerbs was arrested by Tigard police in July 2017 following a three-week-long sex abuse investigation. According to his indictment, Kerbs was acquainted with the family of the victim, who was under the age of 16 when the crimes allegedly occurred.

Kerbs was hired as a Woodburn police officer in January 2015. He has been on unpaid administrative leave since Aug. 2, 2017.

Kerbs, who had posted bail shortly after his arrest, was in trouble again in January when a bench warrant was issued for his arrest after it was revealed he was living in a household with children. One condition of his release agreement was that Kerbs could not have any contact with minor children, though he was allowed supervised parenting time with three minor children, including one child of whom Kerbs said he is the father.

But according to the attorney for the minors' father, Kerbs was not living at the street address on his release agreement, and was instead living with the children and their mother.

Kerbs was taken into custody of the Washington County Jail and was released on Jan. 23 after again paying $14,000, according to jail records.

He will remain in the custody of Washington County Sheriff's Office for the duration of his jail sentence.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine