Hazelnut Festival returns to Donald
It's time for the annual Donald Hazelnut Festival, rich with a parade, car show and live entertainment.
The parade kicks things off at 11 a.m.
This year's grand marshal is Tim Aman. Aman retired after 30 years at Wilco Farmers as a crop consultant, and for the last five years has been the field and relations director for Hazelnut Growers of Oregon. He is a past president of the Nut Growers Society. Aman resides in Silverton with his wife, Debbie, of 34 years. They have three children. He and his two brothers, Tom and Kevin, own a 75-acre hazelnut farm in Mount Angel and lease another 145 acres of orchards. The brothers operate a "tissue cultured" hazelnut tree nursery and supply approximately 1,000 acres per year of tree starts. They work closely with Oregon State University breeding program and provide growers with the latest new varieties of hazelnuts.
Parade participants meet at the corner of Rees and Huckleberry streets, with check-in beginning at 9 a.m. and staging at 10 a.m.
One of the biggest draws to Donald is the Classic Chrome Cruise-in, co-sponsored by GK Machine and Donald Industrial Park, which saw about 150 cars participate last year. Car owners can register online. Twenty-five trophies and dash plaques will be awarded, thanks to GK Machine.
Enjoy the dozens of vendor booths at this year's festival, so popular that space ran out, organizers said.
Live music will be performed by blues singer Norman Sylvester, Portland-based acoustic duo Pallet Junkies and The Beat Goes On Marching Band.
There will be $6,000 worth of raffle prizes at this year's festival. Raffle tickets can be purchased on the festival website. Cost is $5 per ticket or $10 for three tickets. Prizes include: a two-night stay at Bear Lodge at Neskowin Creek (four separate drawings) and a $1,000 gift card to Rich's Gun Shop.
While festival-goers have a lot of chances to receive, they can also take advantage of opportunities to give back. One way is through the American Red Cross blood drive, which will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Donald Community Center. Additionally, the event is still seeking volunteers. Volunteers receive a complimentary T-shirt and a free lunch voucher. Sign up at donaldhazelnutfestival.com.
• 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Classic Chrome Car Cruise-In
• 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Kids activities, facepainting, free games at City Park and, from 1 to 3 p.m., balloon twisting and juggling. (Kids Park on Main Street)
• 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.: Vendors, food court, beer garden (including hazelnut beer), local artisans open
• 10:30 to 11 a.m. Oregon Trail Pitchpipers (Main Street)
• 11 a.m.: Parade
• 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Red Cross Blood Drive at the Donald Community Center
• 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Pallet Junkies
• Noon to 4:30 p.m. Pape Ag Equipment Show at Bear Electric
• 1 to 1:45 p.m. The Beat Goes On marching band (food court)
• 1 p.m. Unheard Skateboard Invitational Exhibition at Donald Skate Park
• 2 to 4 p.m. Norman Sylvester Band
• 4 p.m.: Raffle winners, car show trophy winners announced