Woodburn man convicted for attempted rape, assault, weapons use
A Woodburn man pleaded guilty to attempted rape and first-degree sexual abuse, among other charges, in a plea bargain on July 25.
Mateo Silvestre-Hernandez, 27, who had been charged with 16 counts that included kidnapping and rape against a female victim in 2017, was convicted on four counts: attempted rape, first-degree sexual abuse, second-degree assault constituting domestic violence and unlawful use of a weapon.
Silvestre-Hernandez was sentenced to a total of seven and a half years in prison and ordered to register as a sex offender and pay a total of $800 in fines to the court.
Silvestre-Hernandez was arrested by Salem police July 2017 and charged with two counts of first-degree kidnapping, one count of second-degree kidnapping, two counts of first-degree rape, three counts of unlawful use of a weapon, one count of second-degree assault and one count of fourth-degree assault constituting domestic violence. Silvestre-Hernandez was also accused of knowing that the victim was pregnant at the time of the crimes.
According to the original indictment, Silvestre-Hernandez was accused of kidnapping and raping the victim, then assaulting her with a pipe. Silvestre-Hernandez was also accused of having a knife, belt, gasoline and a lighter with him during the assault with the intent to use them as weapons against the victim.
The negotiated guilty verdict dismissed all but four of the 16 counts against Silvestre-Hernandez.
In a similar domestic violence case in 2016, Silvestre-Hernandez pleaded guilty to charges of kidnapping, assault and strangulation for crimes committed against a different victim.
He was arrested by Woodburn police in April 2016 when an officer on patrol found him standing over a crying woman on Young Street. In a statement to police the victim said that Silvestre-Hernandez, her ex-boyfriend, had come to meet her near her home. She said that Silvestre-Hernandez immediately charged her and began whipping her across the back with a belt. She said he then dragged her by the hair down a steep ravine nearby.
In that instance, Silvestre-Hernandez pleaded guilty to one count of second-degree kidnapping, one count of fourth-degree assault and one count of strangulation and was sentenced to three years of probation.
The conditions of that probation included that he not enter into or participate in any intimate relationship or intimate encounters without prior written approval from a probation officer, to enter into and successfully complete a batterer intervention program, to not possess weapons and to not use or possess alcohol or other intoxicants.
Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)