The first day of the 2019-20 school year got off to a noteworthy start at the North Marion School District after school officials evacuated North Marion High School Wednesday morning when alerted to a gas leak on adjacent Grim Road.
According to district Superintendent Ginger Redlinger, the Aurora Fire Department alerted the school district of the gas leak due to work being done by NW Natural Gas on Grim Road at 9:30 a.m.
"As a precautionary measure, all high school students were evacuated to the middle school," Redlinger wrote in a media release.
Other school continued to run as normal, but entrance to Grim Road at Boones Ferry Road was closed to assess the source of the leak. Parents and buses dropping off students were directed to access Grim Road at the Donald Road intersection.
No gas was detected on the campus, and the district received an "all clear" notice at 10:08 a.m.
Redlinger indicated that the gas leak was not related to the ongoing construction at the school district from the district's 2017 bond, but from a separate project by NW Natural Gas.
Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)