Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Columnist Suzanne Ybarra talks about a day that God's presence in her home was apparent

I got proof recently that God was at my house.

That Saturday morning, my husband Gilbert was taking an online class. Passing the classes is important. Personally, they are advancing him toward his goal of full-time ministry. Financially, they cost money and time.

Each class, taught by a different church leader, still has the same overall structure. Class time is 8 a.m. to noon, two consecutive Saturdays. There's assigned reading. The homework's due date is usually a week after the last class.

Except this class. The teacher said the homework was due before day's end.

Gilbert was already tired. Then he received a call for help. A client had water line problems. Gilbert had to go to work. It was not a situation where he could say, "Call someone else, please."

We picked up PVC pipe at a hardware store. Next stop: the bank. At 2:30 p.m., we were at the client's house. After surveying the problem, we went again to a store for a smaller pipe. It was there Gilbert realized he'd left his debit card in the ATM at the bank.

At this point, I noticed how calmly Gilbert was continuing to do the next thing in front of him. He called the bank to cancel his debit card. I credit his calmness to prayer. At the first store, I had sent a text to a friend, "Gilbert found out today in class, paper due today and at work, client has broken water line. Pulled in 2 directions at once. Please pray. Thank U." Our friend responded, "I prayed and I heard it will work out." I was reassured and grateful for praying friends.

After Gilbert fixed the water line, we got home around 5 p.m. Gilbert was understandably ready to sit down. But no time for rest. Being the writer in the family, I helped as much as ethically allowable. I gave Gilbert the structure of how his paper could be written. He had to do the research, soul searching and writing. I typed the paper into an email to his teacher.

After we ate dinner, I texted our praying friend. Our back and forth:

Me: It all worked out. God is good.

Friend: Was he done by 7:30? Thanks for letting me pray.

Me: Final act of a long day — his homework emailed to teacher — 7:50 pm. What did you experience?

Friend: I prayed again about 7:30 and got that he was close but not done. That he wouldn't be up late doing it. God is good.

Me: God is good. He takes care of his own. Thank you for being such a good brother.

The only way God could know Gilbert was close to being done is if God was there, in our house with us. Ever since, I have been rejoicing that God is right here with me. Praise God. He demonstrated a wonderful truth and redeemed a day of spiritual attack.

I invite you to take what you know to heart. God lives in you. God is with you. No matter what. Always. Tell your heart.

Suzanne Ybarra can be reached at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework