With the addition of 25 women to the plaintiffs' side in a lawsuit against former West Linn doctor David Farley, the women alleging years of sex abuse by the doctor are now suing for $290 million.
The lawsuit names Farley, the West Linn Family Health Center which he founded 30 years ago, Providence Willamette Falls Medical Center and Legacy Meridian Park Hospital as defendants.
Initially, the lawsuit against Farley and the three medical institutions where he worked was filed by four of his former patients and sought $40 million in damages.
Attorneys for the plaintiffs amended the lawsuit to add 25 more former patients as plaintiffs Dec. 4.
The lawsuit alleges Farley performed ungloved and unjustified pelvic, rectal and breast examinations, among other abuses. More than one former patient said some of the abuses, which Farley committed under the guise of practicing medicine, occurred in Farley's own bedroom.
According to a recent press release from the attorneys representing the victims, John Manly and Tom D'Amore, the women are imploring law enforcement to move quickly.
Last month, the West Linn Police Department announced it was investigating Farley. In late November, acting WLPD Chief Peter Mahuna said investigating detectives needed to talk to more victims before pursuing the doctor, who now lives in St. Anthony, Idaho.
At that time, Mahuna said WLPD had talked to 30 or 40 of Farley's alleged victims.
"You have a variety of people coming forward making reports," Manly said in the Dec. 7 press release. "There have been no subpoenas served and no search warrants performed."
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.