Itchy? Scratchy? It could be parasites
Fleas, ticks, and mites are dreaded in pet-friendly households, and with good reason.
Not only can these blood-suckers cause itching and skin problems in the short term, they can also transmit more serious diseases. Rashes and inflammation (as well as the associated scratching) increase your pet's risk of developing a secondary bacterial infection.
Identifying and preventing fleas, ticks, and mites is the key to effective parasite control. Persistent itching, and signs of skin infection (ranging from redness and raised irritation to open sores and bleeding) may indicate the presence of external parasites.
You can treat pet parasites through a number of products, including orally-administered medication, topically-applied products and flea collars. It should be noted that not every product is equally effective, and using the wrong product can be extrememly harmful, even fatal, to your pet.
If you aren't sure what parasite your pet has, or what the most effective treatment option is, consult your local veterinarian for options.
Remember that parasites can travel from pet to pet and to people within your household; if you discover an infection in one animal, it's best to treat the whole "herd" as potential hosts. Parasite larvae can survive in the atmosphere in your carpet--even in your pet's bed; treating the pet's environment is key to preventing reinfection.
Wilsonville Veterinary Clinic
9275 SW Barber St, Wilsonville, OR 97070