Brought to you by Dr. Kristen Hardinge - Wilsonville Veterinary Clinic - VETERINARY INSIDER

(Image is Clickable Link) Dr. Kristen Hardinge-Wilsonville Veterinary Clinic

With the holiday season fast approaching, it is worth remembering some things that can be dangerous to pets.

  • Avoid feeding pets fatty foods like pork, bacon, turkey, turkey skin, prime rib, duck, and gravy. While dogs and cats love these foods, they can cause pancreatitis.
  • Avoid onions, raisins and grapes as they can be toxic to the liver and kidneys.
  • Do not feed bones-chicken, beef or pork-they may fracture and perforate the intestines, break teeth.
  • Keep candy, chocolate, bread dough - anything made with xylitol sweetener, out of reach of dogs and cats.
  • Securely anchor the Christmas tree and put up a tree guard so pets can't drink the water from the tree stand-which may contain fertilizers.
  • Avoid toxic plants- holly, mistletoe, lily, daffodil, amaryllis, and poinsettia.
  • Do not use tinsel on the tree- it is very appealing and if ingested can cause intestinal obstruction requiring surgery.
  • Don't leave lit candles unattended-dog and cat tails can knock them over.
  • Keep all wires, batteries, and ornaments out of reach of dogs and cats they may be too tempting to avoid ingesting.
  • Make sure all medications and recreational marijuana is out of reach of pets.
  • Alcoholic beverages-many are very sweet tasting and may be inviting to a dog or cat to drink them which may make them ill.
  • Remember that if your pet is fearful of fireworks obtain medication to relieve their anxiety. If you are not going to be home on New Year's be sure your pets are securely locked in your house or in a dog crate.
  • Have a joyous and safe holiday season!

    Wilsonville Veterinary Clinic

    9275 S.W. Barber St, Wilsonville, OR 97070

    (503) 682-3737

    Go to top
    Template by JoomlaShine