Students evacuated from Rosemont Ridge due to gas leak
This story has been updated from its original version.
At 10 a.m. Friday, Feb. 15, staff and students were evacuated from Rosemont Ridge Middle School after staff noticed a strong and unidentified smell. The smell was eventually traced to a natural gas leak, according to West Linn-Wilsonville School District Communications Director Andrew Kilstrom.
All students exited the building safely and made their way to Willamette Christian Church. Around 11:15, Kilstrom sent a message to parents with details on a dismissal plan for the day.
"We are releasing buses first," Kilstrom wrote. "Then we will release walkers, and finally we will allow parent pickup. Please do not come to the church to pick up your children until after 11:30."
Parents were instructed to bring a photo ID when picking up their children.
A malfunctioning regulator was eventually identified as the source of the problem and replaced Friday.
Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)