Support Local Journalism!        

Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.

FONT & AUDIO

MORE STORIES


Portland General Electric mostly restores services after a tree falling on a power line on SW Boones Ferry Road left customers without power

This story was updated from its original version

Due to a tree toppling a power line on SW Boones Ferry Road in Wilsonville, 2,573 homes served by Portland General Electric in the Wilsonville area including Charbonneau were reportedly without power Thursday evening. However, by Friday morning, only a few customers remained without power.

Andrea Platt, a spokesperson for PGE, said that the tree falling on the power line caused a surge that affected a breaker in the company's substation. While the outages derived from a tree near the Best Western Inn & Suites on SW Boones Ferry Road, it extended to NE Miley Road and NE Butteville Road on the south side of the Willamette River including Charbonneau. Platt added that trees falling on power lines are one of the most common causes of outages in the region.

"We (know) that it's never a good time to be without power. We appreciate customers' patience as crews are working as quickly as safety allows, and we will continue to keep the outage map up to date," Platt said Thursday evening.

For more information on the outage, visit portlandgeneral.com/outages.

At the same time, Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue responded to multiple incidents in the community — including a tree fire and smoke emanating from a restaurant.

Kim Haughn, a public information officer for TVF&R, said the department responded to a call regarding a tree fire caused by a downed power line on SW Boones Ferry Road (neither she nor Platt could confirm that it was the same tree as the one that caused the outage). The department also responded to a call about white smoke wafting from a restaurant that lost power in Wilsonville proper.

"(The tree fire) was extinguished. The restaurant was charged with smoke, not flames. It was just a matter of making sure … the power was completely shut off and they ventilated out the smoke to the restaurant," Haughn said.


You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.


Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!

Go to top