The Wildcat's defeated the Foxes with a dominant first half to get their first win of the season

TANNER RUSS - Wilsonville defeated Silverton 3-1 on Tuesday, Sept. 12 on their home field. The Wilsonville boys soccer team has had a tough start to their season. After dropping their first two games, their lone match in week two against Ridgeview was canceled due to the poor air quality that a large portion of the state was experiencing at that time. However, when they finally got to play their game again, they made it count, defeating the visiting Silverton Foxes 3-1.

Coach Ian Reschke was glad that his players could get out on the pitch after such a hiatus.

"I was happy for the guys to get that goose egg off their back," Reschke said. "We hadn't scored the first couple games and I know the guys were really disappointed after that first week. After training a full week last week with no contests, I think the guys were chomping at the bit to get out there. I was happy for them."

Saying the first half of the match went well for Wilsonville would be an understatement. Junior forward Henry Tellez would score a hat trick in the opening forty minutes to put the Wildcats up 3-0.

"Henry Tellez is a captain and one of our better players," Reschke said. "We had him on the back line for two years now, and after the first two games not scoring we had to give a shot just to push him up the field. We pushed him up the field in the last game and the first game too, but didn't really find the right chemistry. And then (in that game), after a few adjustments, things started clicking offensively."

Silverton wouldn't go quietly however. A pair of spectacular saves from senior goalkeeper Oscar Baron-Soto would keep the game in Wilsonville's favor.

"Oscar (Baron-Soto) saved us in the first half," Reschke said. "There were some good opportunities Silverton had and he kept them out of the net on two particular occasions, made some nice saves. Oscar had a great game."

Still, despite the shut out in the first half, Silverton would get on the scoreboard early in the second half.

"We were disappointed to give up the set piece goal about five minutes into the half," Reschke said. "We talked about that, we were hoping to get the first goal out of the half to solidify things, but giving up that goal made that a relatively stressful half. Even though it was a two goal lead, they were still putting pressure on us. The game was never really out of reach for Silverton. We played hard until the end."

In the end though, the Wildcats were pleased with the performances of the game, and the outcome as well.

"Solid performance on everybody's part, even off the bench," Reschke said. "(It was) a good night for everyone. We were pleased."

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine