Wilsonville defeated the Lions 6-1 at home in a lopsided contest, look to keep momentum going

SPOKESMAN PHOTO: TANNER RUSS - Junior Luke Spears battles into the Lions half of the field in the second 40 minutes. The Wildcats defeated St. Helens 6-1 on Tuesday, Oct. 10. For Wilsonville's boys soccer team, it was the perfect way to start off the second half. They were up three goals to zero against the visiting St. Helens Lions thanks to freshman midfielder Eliab Bautista and junior defender Henry Tellez, who had two goals.

While the Wildcats were dominant in the first half, head coach Ian Reschke noted that there were still improvements that could be made. SPOKESMAN PHOTO: TANNER RUSS - Junior Henry Tellez scored a hat trick in Wilsonvilles 6-1 defeat of the Lions on Tuesday, Oct. 10.

"Our team play improved in comparison to previous games, but our speed of play was quite slow as St. Helens did not apply much pressure," Reschke said after the game. "We need to pick up the pace of our decisions and play if we are going to make a run in the last three games."

As the second half started up, Wilsonville picked up right where they left off. In the 39th minute sophomore Angel Ulloa-Romero put the ball in the back of the net to bring the Wildcats up by four. In the 29th minute, Wilsonville sophomore midfielder Sam Blohn found Tellez who tried to find his hat trick then, but was rebuffed by St. Helens junior goalkeeper Luke Roth. This led to a St. Helens counterattack, but ultimately to no avail. SPOKESMAN PHOTO: TANNER RUSS - Sophomore Micah Ott controls the ball on the far side line in the match with St. Helens. Wilsonville went on to win 6-1 on Tuesday, Oct. 10.

A minute later, Tellez had the ball on his foot again and wove his way through the St. Helens defense to score his hat trick goal. The score stood at 5-0 in the 28th minute.

In the 23rd minute of the second half, senior John Hallin scored the Wildcat's sixth goal of the night.

The visiting Lions would avoid a complete shutout though. Sophomore Austin Hileman was taken down inside the box, and St. Helens was awarded a penalty kick in the 20th minute. Freshman Kaleb Edwards took the shot, and snuck it past backup goalkeeper Zach Brehm. The final 20 minutes of the game were spent with St. Helens making short-lived forays into Wilsonville turf, but being repeatedly rebuffed by the Wildcats backline. When the horn blew at the end of the second half, Wilsonville had the victory sealed 6-1.

"We are working hard to put all the final pieces together to make a run for the playoffs," Reschke said. "We control our own playoff destiny. We need to win three in a row to guarantee ourselves a place in the playoffs. We have a tough road ahead, but we are staying positive and believe we can do it."

Wilsonville (1-3 in league, 3-6 overall) next plays Sandy (1-3 in league, 7-3 overall) and Parkrose (3-0-1 in league, 9-0-1 overall) on Tuesday Oct. 17 and Thursday Oct. 19 respectively.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine