The Wildcats were unable to get any significant offense going against the visiting Tigers, fell 2-16

SPOKESMAN PHOTO: TANNER RUSS - Wilsonvilles Ben Nieuwstraten was one of two players to score against the Tigard Tigers. The Wildcats fell to the visiting team 2-16. Wilsonville—It was the continuation of a tough trend for Wilsonville's boys lacrosse team on Tuesday, May 1. Against league foe Tigard, the Wildcats fell 2-16 after 48 minutes of play. The loss marked Wilsonville's third in a row since besting La Salle on April 23.

Tigard was able to dominate the game offensively, keeping the pressure on Wilsonville's defensive players for large swaths of the game. Wilsonville gave up 10 goals before the end of the first half, and was unable to capitalize on quick counterattacks when the opportunities presented themselves.

The second half was better for the home team in terms of offensive output and stopping Tigard on the offensive.

"The second half, I think the boys made some good adjustments," Wilsonville head coach Michael Wilson said. "The boys just settled down. We talk about trust all the time, I've said it and sound like a broken record. But just trusting the system and being patient with it rather than going one on ten and trying to take the game into your own hands."

Wilsonville subbed in sophomore Jeremy Katz at keeper, and the effect was immediate. Katz made four consecutive saves between the six minute mark and four minutes.

"Jeremy Katz is brand new to lacrosse, but he's grown a ton," Wilson said. "He was a catcher in baseball, so he has the same mentality and the same mechanics. He's younger, he's a sophomore. But he's pushing for starting varsity, so he's doing well."

Offensively, the Wildcats got their two goals of the game in the third quarter, with Keagan Jones getting in on both goals. The first goal came at the 7:33 mark, with Jones passing the ball off to Josh McKenzie on the 10 yard lines, but was forced backwards to the thirty yard line by persistent Tigard defense. McKenzie passed it off to the ever-ready Jones, who slung the ball into the net and put Wilsonville onto the board for the first time that night.

"In my head, I think that if I pass it to a certain person it'll make the defense go to him, and then I'll be open for the pass back," Jones said. "After I pass it, I'm just getting ready to be in place to get the goal."

Wilsonville got its second goal of the night at 3:27 of the same quarter, with Jones passing the ball off to Ben Nieuwstraten who then put the ball past the Tigard keeper.

According to Wilson, the team still has room to improve even as the season winds down.

"I think we're going to learn lessons because we have practice tomorrow so we'll work on the stuff we need to be better throughout the rest of the season," Jones said.

Wilsonville dropped a subsequent match against Newberg (6-9) by a score of 6-15, but was able to pick up its third win of the season against Mt. View (7-3) on Friday, May 4. Wilsonville's final game of the season is Monday, May 7 on the road against Tualatin (11-4).

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine