PMG Associate Editor, Sports,
Lake Road Office
The Pamplin Media Group Associate Editor for Sports will ensure that there is quality sports content on each of the company's appropriate websites. This person will work collaboratively with the PMG Editor in Chief and the Managing Editor for Engagement, as well as all PMG journalists writing sports-related coverage. In addition to weekly collaboration with PMG journalists covering sports, this person will direct local sports coverage for the company.
• Ensure that there is fresh content on the company's sports web pages each day.
• Work with the Managing Editor for Engagement to ensure that all properties have sports e-blasts (as advertising supports) with an expected emphasis on prep and youth sports.
• Enhance online stories and cross-promote them in print in coordination with the local editor.
• Supervise and train all journalists covering sports to ensure they are posting stories to websites and using social media to promote stories at a minimum of once daily.
• Supervise and train all journalists covering sports on best practices for digital sports coverage (use of slideshows, e-blasts, types of stories written, and types of events covered).
• Prepare weekly coverage schedule of sports events to ensure that there is no duplication of effort (two or more journalists covering the same event).
• Coordinate with the Director of Operations for best practices in the use of Teams for sports content.
• Pitch ideas for company-wide coverage of sports topics to the Editor in Chief.
• Produce sports content for the property where the PMG Associate Editor of Sports is located.
• Work to create a sports coverage strategy that provides unique sports coverage in print while breaking timely sports news online.
• Will coordinate and collaborate, when appropriate, with PMG Advertising Director. This may include suggesting and brainstorming potential advertising opportunities and other revenue streams as it relates to sports coverage.
• Will coordinate and collaborate with the PMG Circulation Director. This may include suggesting and brainstorming potential circulation and advertising revenue streams as it relates to sports coverage.
• Must be able to juggle multiple projects and meet multiple deadlines.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements:
• Reporting, copy editing, graphic design, photography, and people-management skills.
• Effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
• Knowledge and use of social media.
• Knowledge and use of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Microsoft Teams.
• Understanding of grammar and ability to write clear, compelling copy on a consistent basis.
• Eye for detail and be accurate in work.
• Ability to be balanced, diplomatic, and fair in stories covered.
• Knowledge of Associated Press style.
Work Experience Requirements:
• At least 2+ years reporting, page layout, page design and photography experience for a quality weekly or daily publication.
• Prior editor experience preferred.
• High school Diploma or GED required.
• College degree in journalism or related field preferred, or equivalent relevant work experience.
• Provide personal vehicle, possess valid driver's license and required insurance, and maintain safe driving record.
• Ability to personally drive to and from different locations as required within the Portland Metro area.
• Ability to work evening and weekend hours in addition to regular daytime business hours.
• Work more than 40 hours per week as needed.
Date Prepared: May 26, 2021